Tuesday, November 13, 2007

OS X Leopard COOOLLLLLNESSSS

I'm sitting in our 100% Fresh event learning about Mac OSX Leopard. It was presented by Robert Hammen, Apple Certified System Administrator, from Sells Printing. I'm FLOORED by all the cool stuff Leopard does. I'm not a power user, I spend most of my time using email, working with MS Office and playing on the internet. I found 2 sexy pieces of functionality that I thought I'd share. (in my own words...and clearer ones from the help menus)

1. Widget creation for Dashboard: So fun! Perhaps you frequent a web site that refreshes often. Intellicast for weather or perhaps your favorite sports team. Instead of launching a browser and navigating to the site to see the latest, you can create a dashboard widget! In Apple's words:
You can make your favorite webpage into a Web Clip widget. When the webpage’s content is updated, your Web Clip widget is also updated. And when you click a Web Clip widget in the dashboard, the webpage you used to create it opens.

To create a Web Clip widget:
1. Open Safari and go to the webpage you want to make into a widget.
2. In the Safari toolbar, click the Open in Dashboard button, shown here.
3. Move the mouse around to select a portion of the webpage. When the portion you want is highlighted, click the mouse button.
4. If you like, reposition the highlighted portion by dragging it. To resize it, drag the circular handles on the edges of the box.
5. When you’re done adjusting the widget outline, click Add.
6. Dashboard appears, with the web clip displayed.

To customize the widget, move the mouse pointer over the its lower-right corner. Click the “i” button when it appears, and then select any of these options:

Edges: Choose an edge style by clicking the small pictures of the widget.

Only play audio in Dashboard: If your widget is a sound clip, select this checkbox if you want the sound to stop playing when you dismiss Dashboard.

Edit: To resize the widget or reposition the content, click Edit. Drag the content around to reposition it, and drag the Web Clip’s lower-right corner to resize it.

2. Cover Flow: This feature is sheer genius for those of us who are organizationally impaired. Example: I have a head shot that I use for press releases and use with any of my online profiles (LinkedIn, FaceBook...) but I can't ever find it right away. I end up in the finder opening folders and then individual files. NOW, I still have to use the finder, but it's a bit faster and a whole lot sexier! The finder used to have 3 options: show files as icons, in a list or in columns. Now there's a 4th option...COVER FLOW. Snagged directly from iTunes, you can page through folders using this visual reference, and can find things much more easily (or I could just use spotlight, but that's NOT a new Leopard feature, although it does seem faster).

No comments: