Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Power mail searching in Leopard (Mac OS X 10.5)


If you can remember from: , to: and subject: you will be able to get much more out of your mail searches, faster.

In any Spotlight search field (NOT just in the Mail program - this works in the Finder also) if I do a search structured like this:


from:erica to:tiffany


I get just the emails I've received from Erica that also were mailed to Tiffany (watch to make sure you don't put any spaces either side of the colon - search will break)


If I do the following search:

from:jfritz to:jsimon -subject:seminar


I get the mails I've received from jfritz that jsimon was cc'd on removing any results that include the word "seminar" in the subject (note the minus sign in front of subject)

This is a great way to narrow down your search results fast



No comments: