Thursday, January 31, 2008

HELVETICA


Love it or hate it. Helvetica has been a lasting part of graphic design since its inception. You see Neue Haas Grotesk (the original name until 1960) on a daily basis whether you know it or not. Its relationship with designers has pushed its popularity into a feature film, "Helvetica" and now the Museum of Modern Art (MoMA) is presenting a new exhibit "50 years of Helvetica".

I myself have weighed in on Veer's "Love/Hate" Helvetica blog (I went for the love it). I feel that anything that can polarize a designer like this font deserves its mome
nt in the sun and for Helvetica that time is now.

I have to admit there was a time where I was anti-H. I still wear a t-shirt from college that our class designed that simply states "Screw Helvetica". But as I get older, and hopefully wiser, I look at Helvetica like a warm blanket or an old friend. It is a constant, it has never changed with the times or been redesigned to the "new, trim, or fun" version. Helvetica has its place in our lives and as a writer from the BBC put it "Helvetica means your train is on time, your flight will not crash, your life will go on.".

So happy 50th Helvetica and congratulations.


No comments: