Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Steve Sandstrom Explains .. What IS the difference between advertising & design?

Steve Sandstrom is not one to miss tonight.

I've been in the advertising field for seven years and I thought I knew what the difference was behind design and advertising. The lecture peaked my curiosity since I had just seen his exhibit at the Eisner Museum. Having prior plans for this evening (but you will catch Kevin there), I headed out to Madison to see his pre-lecture at the Advertising Federation.

I was wowed. I feel like it's all clear now. And it was so simple.

Here I thought media was the difference. Most "full" service ad agencies have media buying elements whereas the majority of design agencies I've worked with have not. While an element in the difference, it's not the defining characteristic.

I don't want to spoil anything for those of you attending, so check back here for a debate!

No comments: