Thursday, January 24, 2008

How to get a job!


Andy Sernovitz is coming back to Milwaukee in a couple weeks to speak to BMA-Milwaukee about Word of Mouth marketing. I was surfing around and came upon his blog and his fabulous advice to job seekers. This blog post offers some great pointers, I included the points, but read his actual post for the detailed insights on each of them. Please forward the info on to anyone you know entering the job market anytime...that might be you (perhaps you should get registered with C2 if that's the case), or someone you know.


1. Write an amazing cover letter.
2. Zero errors
3. Tell me what have you done ... specifically.
4. Can you do THIS job?
5. Don't take the wrong job just to get in the door.
6. It's about me, not you.
7. Show industry expertise and interest.

Speaking of getting a job, in the last week I've been invited to join a new social network called NotchUp.com. It's an interesting concept, you post your profile and indicate if you're an active or passive candidate, then you determine your "asking price" for an interview. If a company is seriously interested in you, they offer to interview and agree to pay the asking price. I set up a profile out of curiosity ONLY (the employer site beta launches March 1). I was able to download my LinkedIn profile and make modifications easily. The most compelling area of the site (in my opinion) was the rationale statement to employers for using NotchUp. Essentially they're competing with recruiting firms, trying to eliminate recruiters from the equation. It won't work for all hiring managers, but it's an novel approach and reinforces yet again the power of social networks. This may change the landscape of recruiting...

2 comments:

Steve Robinson said...

I have registered for NotchUp.com. They put my suggested interview price at $230. I have to say that as someone who really isn't looking, that just may make it worth my time to go to an interview.

This raises the question, though, if paying candidates to interview gets your more passive candidates interested in showing up for an interview, how many sub-passive (candidates who have a next to 0% chance of taking a new position) are going to bite just for the opportunity to earn a couple of bucks networking with people at a company they admire.

Erica Conway said...

I agree Steve! I actually set my price at $1000, ridiculously high, but if someone is seriously interested, I guess I'll be able to give their interview offer serious consideration. I'm not looking, nor do I anticipate looking. But for those who might get a compensated interview offer, they had better get serious quick. I think interviewing for cash only could besmirk your reputation.